Head out to the famous suburb Orlando West and get a unique experience. Get to know Soweto by walking the streets and learn the township lingo – Tsotsi Taal, join our tours – cycling or walking, play soccer with the locals and watch the big games.
Volunteer in one of our community projects and meet people that make development happen. Take a walk to museums, restaurants and shebeens. Visit the church and sing to the gospel tunes. Enjoy a delicious braai around the camp fire and dance to the local beats from drums and kwaito music.
We're proud to be one of the few black-owned backpackers and one of the few backpackers in a black community in South Africa. 2007 Tourism Investment Award winner!
Sleeping at Lebo's
- Dormitory R145 per person a night
- Single Room R245 a night
- Double Room R360 per room a night
- Camping R95 (own tent) or R125 (our tent) per person a night
We offer discounts for groups, students and discount card holders such as Hostelling International and Moola Magic
Eating at Lebo's Soweto Backpackers
- Don’t miss the opportunity of home made Soweto stews, curries, spicy and mild salads and our tasty Braai (BBQ).
- Our Cold breakfast; Cereals, Yogurt, Fruit, Juice, Toast, Tea and Coffee.
- Our Cooked breakfast; bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato, cheese and toast.
- Lunch menu available.
- Self Catering kitchen available.
- Braai area.
- Local restaurants nearby.
Chilling at Lebo's Soweto Backpackers
- Cozy outdoor area with fire place, hammock, outdoor games and our viby Beach Bar!
- Listen and dance to African beats and reggae rhythms.
Getting to Lebo's Soweto Backpackers
- Pick up and drop offs around Johannesburg and airports can be arranged.
- Safe off-street parking offered, for driving directions click on ‘Location’.
- Free Baz Bus shuttle from selected hostels in Joburg - contact us to arrange!
- Take the Rea Vaya buses from Johannesburg CBD and we will arrange free pick up from nearest station.
- From OR Tambo Airport take the Gautrain to Park and arrange a pick up with us or reconnect with the metro train.
- Take the metro train from Johannesburg Park Station and get off at Phomolong station, we are a close walking distance from the station.
- Take a minibus taxi from Bree Street taxi rank in Joburg and get off at B.O.S, we are on a close walking distance from the taxi-stop.
When taking public transportation to Soweto it is advisable to contact us beforehand so we can advise and arrange pick-up if necessary.
Around Lebo's Soweto Backpackers
- Safe area to walk around in.
- Walking distance to Hector Pieterson Museum, Mandela Family Museum and restaurants and bars.
- Internet café, shops and ATM on a close walking distance.
- Other interesting areas such as Meadowlands and Mzimhlope Hostel next door to our area.
What our guests said about us